The Master of Educational and Child Psychology (MECP) Programme is a two-year postgraduate programme, subsidised by the University Grants Committee of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. It is tailor-made to provide instruction and training in both the theory and practice of applied educational psychology, and will lead to a professional qualification as a psychologist who may work in educational settings and organizations that are relevant to child-adolescent development, including the pre-school, primary and secondary school sectors, tertiary institutions; and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) with children/youth foci, either as a staff member or private practitioner. The educational philosophy of the MECP programme is built on the essential and close link between research-based knowledge and professional competency in applied educational psychology. The Scientist-Practitioner model is employed to chart the academic and professional direction of the programme.
To be eligible for the MECP degree, students are required to complete a total of 60 credits, made up of 45 credits for the successful completion of academic subjects, together with one dissertation (9 credits) on evidence-based research in applied educational and child psychology of 15,000 to 20,000 words in length; three supervised practicums (6 credits) totalling at least 1,200 hours; and one pre-practicum orientation of at least 160 hours.
15 Academic Subjects (3 credits per subject, sub-total=45 credits)
(1) Psycho-educational Assessment I
(2) Psycho-educational Assessment II
(3) Psycho-educational Intervention I
(4) Psycho-educational Intervention II
(5) Professional Skills Training Workshop I
(6) Professional Skills Training Workshop II
(7) Exceptionality in Children & Adolescents: Diagnoses, Interventions and Prevention
(8) Curriculum-based Designs & Response to Instructional Strategies
(9) Applied Developmental Science
(10) Learning Processes & Problems
(11) Positive Development in Children & Adolescents and Parenting
(12) Integrative Seminars on Professional Ethics & Issues in Educational Psychology
(13) Research Methodology & Statistics for Educational Psychology
(14) Psychometric Theories & Practice
(15) One Professional Elective Subject from the Postgraduate Scheme of the Department of Applied Social Sciences
One Research-based Dissertation of 15,000 to 20,000 words (9 credits)
(16) Dissertation Research I, II & III
Pre-practicum Orientation and Three Supervised Practicums for 1,360 hours (6 credits)
(17) Pre-practicum Orientation (160 hours)
(18) Practicum I (400 hours)
(19) Practicum II (400 hours)
(20) Practicum III (400 hours)
A recognised Bachelor's degree with Honours in Psychology;
An approved equivalent qualification in Psychology, recognised by the Hong Kong Psychological Society;
Eligibility for Graduate Membership of the Hong Kong Psychological Society or equivalent.
For further information, please contact:
Miss Freda Lau (tel: 3400 3688);
or Ms Liu (email: email@example.com).
Information on the subjects offered can be obtained at www.polyu.edu.hk/apss.